Practice Areas Overview - Harris, Wyatt & Amala, LLC
Based in Salem, Oregon, the law firm Harris, Wyatt & Amala, LLC represents clients throughout the Willamette Valley in a range of civil and criminal matters, including plaintiff personal injury claims, drunk driving (DUII) defense, and complex litigation.
Experience and Skill
People injured or harmed by the negligence or wrongful act of another are entitled to seek compensation for economic and noneconomic damages. Whether your case involves procuring a settlement to cover medical expenses, seeking fair compensation from an insurance provider, or receiving financial compensation due to the loss of a loved one, our attorneys possess the experience and skill to move your case swiftly toward settlement or trial. Claims may involve:
- Auto, Trucking, Motorcycle, Bicycle & Pedestrian Accidents - A motor vehicle accident is always a disruptive event, and when an accident involves a serious injury, expensive medical bills and even permanent disability can result. You should never have to suffer the personal and financial burden of injuries caused by another person's negligent or reckless driving. Our attorneys have extensive experience assisting auto accident victims, approaching each client's matter with compassion and a commitment to reaching a favorable resolution. We have expertise dealing with insurance companies and utilize this experience to ensure that you receive a full and fair recovery.
- Products Liability - Manufacturers and product retailers with substantial control over a product may be held liable for personal injuries caused by a defective product. Product manufacturers are liable for design and operational defects, or inadequately labeled products having hidden dangers. Defective products can include almost any consumer product, including car and truck parts, and may cause serious injuries or even wrongful death.
- Wrongful Death & Catastrophic Injuries - When an accident results in the death of a loved one, our attorneys possess the expertise and compassion necessary to handle all aspects of a wrongful death case, allowing families to focus on making an emotional recovery.
Catastrophic injuries can be difficult to quantify monetarily because of the amount of pain, suffering, and emotional trauma involved, but our attorneys can help you obtain the greatest recovery possible for your injuries. Our offices are experienced in all areas of catastrophic injury, including traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, burns, and severe factures.
- Drunk Driving Accidents - Our firm provides effective representation for personal injuries and wrongful deaths resulting from another driver's decision to drive while under the influence of alcohol. In certain circumstances, taverns, restaurants, and hosts of private parties can be held liable for injuries and fatalities caused by drunk drivers. Under Oregon dram shop laws, those who serve a visibly intoxicated person prior to a car accident may share liability in drunk driving accidents.
- Construction Site Accidents - Construction sites are dangerous places where accidents often occur. You may be entitled to compensation if you were harmed on or near a construction site. Furthermore, for both construction workers and passersby, if the property owner failed to properly warn of a dangerous hazard, or if someone not working for the company, such as a supplier or contractor, caused an accident, a construction injury claim may go hand-in-hand with a premises liability claim or a third-party negligence claim. We will thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident, so that you may recover the maximum possible amount for your construction-related injury.
- Dog Bites - Whether you are on public property, or lawfully on the property of another, the possibility of being attacked by a dog is very real. Small children are especially vulnerable to attacks due to their size and limited capacity to appreciate that some animals may be dangerous. Regardless of the sophistication of the victim, the dog's owner has a duty to prevent the animal from injuring others. We can help you hold the owner accountable for your injuries, including emotional trauma.
- Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect - Federal and state law guarantees certain rights and protections to nursing home residents, including but not limited to the right to be treated with dignity and privacy, protection from abuse and chemical and physical restraints, and the right to receive care ensuring safety and good hygiene. If you suspect that your loved one is the victim of nursing home abuse, we can help you assess the situation and build a claim.
Harris, Wyatt & Amala, LLC provides comprehensive criminal defense representation to clients in Marion County and throughout Oregon. We will help you fight the charges brought against you, always working to maximize the opportunity for a possible dismissal, acquittal, or reduced sentencing. Our attorneys have experience defending clients against nearly any criminal charge, with particular focus on the following practice areas:
- Drug Crimes - Our attorneys have experience defending clients against a range of drug-related charges, including possession, delivery, and manufacture of controlled substances. If your vehicle was stopped and searched, resulting in a drug charge, we will fully investigate the police conduct surrounding your detention, arrest, or post-arrest interrogation, and determine the most viable course of legal action to defend you against the charges.
- DUII / Traffic Crimes- Driving under the influence of intoxicants (DUII) is one of the most common charges that criminal defendants face in Oregon. If you have been arrested for a DUII offense, you may be facing serious fines, a loss of your driving privileges, probation, and even potential jail time. Attorney Gig Wyatt has been handling DUII defense representation for decades and possesses an in-depth understanding of the laws and court procedures involved. With our collective experience, we have helped clients defeat DUII charges, negotiate reduced penalties, and obtain minimum penalties in the event of a conviction.
- Sex Offenses - Sex offenses vary from abuse and molestation to more serious crimes, such as sexual assault or rape. When an individual is accused of a sex crime, the personal, social, and professional ramifications can be extremely damaging, even if the charges are ultimately dropped or a verdict of not guilty is reached. The stigma associated with sexual misconduct can impact your ability to obtain future employment and damage your personal relationships with family and friends. We can help mitigate the consequences of a sex offense investigation or charge and ensure that your rights are fully protected.
- Serious Crimes / Measure 11 - Oregon's Measure 11 imposes mandatory minimum prison sentences on perpetrators of violent crimes, such as assault, kidnapping, rape, and murder. Our firm zealously defends clients who have been charged with Measure 11 offenses. In some cases, we can negotiate with the district attorney to take the case out of Measure11, saving our clients from a lengthy prison term.
Contact an experienced Oregon attorney today
Harris, Wyatt & Amala, LLC has decades of experience representing and acting on behalf of insurance companies. We possess an in-depth understanding of the multitude of state and federal statutes and regulations governing insurance companies and insurance contracts and of how these laws affect the underlying legal issues when defending insurance coverage matters.