There are many potential causes of truck accidents — all of which could put you in a compromising position at some point. You hope that you’re never part of a truck accident, but there is only so much you can do to protect yourself.
Knowing the common causes of truck accidents can help keep you safe, as this knowledge allows you to avoid dangerous situations. Here are some common causes:
- Inadequate training. Driving a truck is not easy, so every trucker should receive advanced training on everything from defensive driving to safety concerns.
- Reckless driving. Truckers don’t always obey the rules of the road, but instead push the limit regarding to their behavior when behind the wheel. Reckless driving comes in many forms, such as excessive speeding and illegal passing.
- Unrealistic schedules. When a trucking company places unrealistic expectations on a driver, this often results in a driver spending too much time on the road and/or driving too fast. That means there’s a greater chance that they’ll cause an accident.
- Distracted driving. Even though it’s against the law and extremely dangerous, some truckers continue to become distracted when they should be paying attention to the road.
- Drowsy driving. Truckers spend hours on end driving, often to the point of exhaustion. Taking regular breaks is essential to avoiding trouble.
You can’t control the actions of those around you, but you can do your part in keeping your distance from truckers.
If you are involved in an accident with a truck, move to safety and call 911. After you receive treatment you can then determine what your legal options are if the truck driver and/or the trucking company was to blame.